
So my little punk is five years old as of June 3rd! Sadly, I didn't have a full-blown party for him with a keg or a pinata, but it was fun, nonetheless. I initially planned on going up to Atlanta to see my family but that didn't work out this time. We're planning to make up for it in late July with a possible trip to Disney World. I understand that Disney World is a bit newer than Disney Land - but nothing can beat the memories we had growing up and going to the original Disney Land. I specifically remember a night at Disney, with everyone wearing glow-sticks while I sat on my dad shoulders with my ear against his head, listening to the sound of him chewing ice. I'm not sure why I still remember that. If it doesn't work out in July, I definitely want to try to take Christian sometime this year.
So I just moved into a new apartment and the last time I've lived by myself was...hmm. I don't think I ever have, actually. Well, technically I still don't because I have Christian with me, but my point is that I don't have all of the required utensils in my kitchen needed to make basically anything. That includes a birthday cake. So we totally ghettoed it up on his birthday. I let Christian make the cake all by himself after I found the correct portions for the ingredients, and he stirred everything into a plastic pitcher, and used a measuring spoon to do the mixing. LOL. I know, I know. But you know what? The cake still turned out right. We had no one to impress; it was just the two of us, sort of like that Will Smith song.
I got him three things. I decided I wasn't going to get him a lot of toys because it would just add to his collection of that toy section in his roomed secretly named "Toys that aren't cool." So I got him something I thought he would think was amazing. Enter "Aquasaurs." Aquasaur is their commercial name, but they are scientifically actually called Triops Longicaudatus.

A short excerpt from Wikipedia says this about Triops Longicaudatus:
"[...Triops Longicaudatus] is considered a living fossil because its basic morphology has changed little in the last 70 million years. Triops longicaudatus is among the oldest animal species to still exist.
Wicked, right? On this product page for the Aquasaurs, it says:
Hatch & Raise Real Prehistoric Creatures
Aquasaurs have existed for more than 350 millions years. They're even older than dinosaurs!
Aquasaur eggs can lie dormant for up to 25 years and scientists believe this may be their secret to survival! Now you can hatch and raise live Aquasaurs in a fascinating prehistoric aquatic environment. Watch as Aquasaurs swim and play among glowing undersea volcanoes. It's like traveling back in time!
I accidentally dropped the box his present was in a few days ago, and I was worried at first that I may have damaged the eggs -- but then I thought to myself, "They can lie dormant for up to 25 years. I doubt my dropping them will lead to their extinction."
So anyway, Christian is absolutely fascinated by them. Several of them hatched a few days ago but they're still too small to take a decent picture to show you. They are supposed to grow to about two inches in length and I'll share the picture then.
On a different note, Christian is already making me feel like a parent that is out of the loop on all things cool. The other day, I was singing one of his favorite songs by this artist named Chris Brown and he told me it was played out. Okay, so it was my fault for teaching him what 'played out' means, but I didn't think he'd ever use it on me.
So anyway, I leave you with some pictures of Christian, as I haven't posted any updated ones in some time.







No comments:
Post a Comment